The Malta Gaming Authority (MGA) fuses the commercial needs of operators with a deep understanding of gaming legislation and practice. As the single regulatory body responsible for the governance of all gaming activities in Malta, it is considered by many to be the preferred global remote gaming regulator. The Authority presents a top-notch regulatory environment, coupled with technical capabilities, which allows it to offer a world class service.
With its overriding goal of providing a unique, efficient platform, the MGA has recently revamped its Corporate Identity and re-launched its website, with an intuitive web design, that offers an enhanced communications between regulator and operators.
According to the enactment of the Lotteries and Other Games Act, 2001, the MGA’s mission statement is:
“To regulate competently the various sectors of the gaming industry that fall under the Authority by ensuring gaming is fair and transparent to the players, preventing crime, corruption and money laundering and by protecting minor and vulnerable players.”
The Gaming Industry has evolved from the static structure of brick and mortar casinos to the innovation of iGaming that relies on high-tech innovations to increase player interactivity and make it possible for gaming to be available anytime and anywhere.
These developments have led to new challenges when it comes to defining the conceptual legal parameters. Regulators are increasingly recognising the importance of having an effective and holistic, legislative framework and corporate structure that enables them to face new challenges head-on.
The Lotteries and Other Games Act, 2001 was established to bring all gaming activities, with the exception of land-based casinos, under one comprehensive legislative instrument. This enactment vested the Authority with an array of tools to implement its regulatory function effectively.
- Protect minors and vulnerable persons;
- Safeguard players’ rights;
- Promote responsible gaming in a safe environment;
- Ensure the integrity of games and gaming devices;
- Keep gaming free from criminal activities.
- Consolidate all regulatory functions relating to gaming activities;
- Operate a successful and a fully integrated Authority;
- Support the industry and technological innovation;
- Provide authoritative and accessible information;
- Provide a one-stop-shop for licensing.
Our Activities include:
- Conducting research on various aspects of gaming;
- Granting licences related to gaming;
- Monitoring licensed gaming;
- Collecting gaming taxes on behalf of the Government;
- Supporting good causes;
- Ensuring that the sector contributes to the country’s development.
Should you wish to get in touch with us, kindly send us a message through our Contact Us Page.